Sunday, July 8, 2012

Happy Birthday, Merrit!

Merrit turned nine years old yesterday. He came in to wake Mike and I up at the crack of dawn saying, "I'm Nine! I'm Nine! I'm Nine!" About a half-hour later, Ollie came into our room singing "Happy Birthday to You." We had to clarify that it wasn't his birthday; it was Merrit's birthday! He was fine with that, once he realized he'd get cake, too. :)

We had two school friends over for dinner and birthday cake at 6:00pm. "Aunt" Dawn, Mike, Ollie, and I were in attendance, too.

I set the table like a restaurant for Merrit's special dinner.
He has always asked for lasagna baked up in individual
ramekins (like they do at the restaurants) so that's how I
fixed his lasagna dinner on his birthday.

The kids got goofy when placing their drink orders. "Lemonade!" "No,
chocolate milk!" "No, lemonade!" 

I had a little extra "wait staff" help from Dawn.

After dinner, Mike took the boys out on a canoe ride.

Inside, Dawn and I cleaned up the kitchen and put the finishing touches on the
birthday cake. Parents returned to pick up their kids and join us for coffee
and cake.

Aidan ordered vanilla and strawberry ice cream with his chocolate cake.

Jamie ordered vanilla with his cake.

We had one false start, when I walked in front of the window fan on my
way to the table with cake-in-hand. All the candles went out and we had to
re-light, start the song over, and go around the other side of the island to
get to the table! Merrit blew the candles out with a little help from Ollie.
  
Ollie had chocolate ice cream with whipped cream on top.

1 comment:

  1. Laughing at that last photo especially.

    You are an awesome mom!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...